More Information About Me

Simeon Peebler started out in the early 1980s programming his Commodore 64 and making his own games and music when he should have been doing "more appropriate" things. Flash forward to the present day; after years in game development and technology, he works as a game designer and programmer and has been working the last few years in teaching game design and game development at a leading digital arts college in Chicago Tribeca Flashpoint Academy In 2011, Simeon created Brain Bump, a trivia game for the Amazon Kindle. He also has been working on composing original music and songwriting (go to his songwriting site and hear his latest album).

Monday, July 9, 2007

Anticipating the Obsolescence of Fast Thumbs from NYT

Peter Hawley, Associate Chair of Film at Flashpoint Academy, sent me this link. I love hardcore gaming, don't get me wrong. I have long since been on the bandwagon for casual games and the casual game marketplace (see my games at http://www.brainblock.com), and even for my own life, I don't have the time to spend three thousand hours playing some amazing new game experience (well...I usually buy them and play the first few hours and then get depressed that I don't have more time on my hands!) --

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/arts/08schi.html?ex=1184644800&en=a8d07ffb86300537&ei=5070&emc=eta1

"JOHN RICCITIELLO is assembling his video game legions, and he wants you.
No, not you, desensitized, caffeine-mainlining, virtual-gun-toting twitch artist. No, not you, high school Madden fiend or video basketball jock. After all, he’s already got you in his back pocket.
He wants to sign up everyone else. That means you, soccer mom. That means you, cubicle-dwelling Dilbert clone. That means you, seventh-grade girl. You may not think of yourselves as gamers now, but if Mr. Riccitiello has his way, you just might soon be."

1 comment:

cubedude89 said...

whats a twitch artist :-D
anyway, I know what you mean about not having time to play through all these wonderful games. I have recently bought the new Tomb Raider and i played the first 2 levels when i first bought it but modding takes up all my free time. Its hard seeing my dad beat Tomb Raider before me haha. And he just rented "The Darkness" AHHHH i wanna play it so bad! but these 3d models dont make themselves and the level designer is waiting with empty rooms...